Skip header and navigation
Creamer and Covered Sugar Bowl
- Johnson Brothers
- Accession Number
- Johnson Brothers
- Tools and Equipment for Materials
- Food Service T&E
- Material Type
- Place of Manufacture
- Hanely, England
- Period Date Notes
- "Johnson Bros"; blue
- A = Strong Delta provenance
- .1) 10
- Unit of Measure
- Accession Number
- Catalogue Number
- Condition Code
- Current Condition
- Blue glaze of creamer is crazed; three chips out of top edge on sugar bowl and several -6/2008
- Married in 1896, James and Sarah (née Hennessey) Nelson farmed on the G.B. Main Rd (41B St) for many years and had a family of eleven children. Born in 1922, Eileen was the youngest child. She never married. She lived in her sister and brother-in-law's (Sabina and Roy MacGregor) weekend home in Ladner on Trunk Rd. until 1994 when she moved to Schooner Gate, Ladner. Eileen donated several items to the Museum in 1994. In 2007 she moved into Deltaview Life Enrichment Centre.
Earthenware and Sanitary ware manufacturers. The four 'Johnson Brothers' were Alfred, Frederick, Henry and Robert (Grandsons of the famous Meakin lineage) - sons of Robert Johnson.
Alfred, Frederick began production at the Charles Street works, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent in 1883 for the manufacture of durable Earthenware, which they called "White Granite".
In 1888, Henry joined them. In addition to manufacturing well-potted white ware, they began producing under-glaze printed ware for which they became famous. Due to the increased demand for pottery after the Civil War, they opened up two new factories in Hanley close to their original factory. By 1898, they had five different factories producing tableware. [Charles Street works, Imperial Works, Hanley Works & Trent Works in Hanley and the Scotia Road works in Tunstall).
Robert, moved to New York in the United States of America around 1896 to establish a presence in the tableware market that was emerging. Johnson Brothers tableware was becoming very popular in America due to its inexpensive and durable product.
Johnson Brothers continued its growth in the tableware industry into World War I. The war taxed the company's work force, shipping capabilities, and raw materials supplies. When the war was over, production was able to resume at its pre-war pace.
At the start of the Twenties, new shapes, patterns, and bodies were introduced and the "Dawn" range of colored bodies began for which Johnson Brothers became very well known. New methods were developed for making halloware items which allowed for a more rapid production over the old method of using pressed clay. At the end of the Twenties, the grandsons of the founders entered the business.
During the Thirties the Charles Street Works, the original factory was closed. It was not until the mid-Thirties that the factories got under full production. At the end of the Thirties, was seen the development of modern systems of firing using electricity as fuel rather than raw coal and new brick-built tunnels using an automatic ware-propelling system replaced the traditional "Bottle Ovens." The more accurately controlled firing system meant better quality and less loss and the conditions for the wokers was much more superior than before. A new mold-making department and making shops accompanied the construction of the electric kiln.
The Second World War came and nearly halted production at Johnson Brothers factories. Although a struggle, the company managed to survive this hardship with sporadic shipments of product to the United States. War damage and the need for increased productivity dictated a major overhaul of the Johnson Brothers factories. Modern equipment and larger facilities were installed to improve the day-to-day production capability of the company. Various plants in England, Canada, and Australia were purchased for decorating and glazing and firing of pieces.
In 1968, to offer access to even larger markets, and to remain competitive, Johnson Brothers joined the Wedgwood Group. Several other manufacturers including Meakin (the Johnson Brother's maternal Grandfather's company), Coalport, Adams, Midwinter, Crown Staffordshire, and Mason's joined, as well.
Around 2000 the tableware division of Johnson's mover to the nearby J & G Meakin Eagle Pottery works where they produced until 2004 when manufacturing was transferred abroad. The Eagle Pottery works were demolished in 2005.