Skip header and navigation
- Anthropological Artifacts
- Material Type
- Accession Number
- Catalogue Number
- DgRs14 is the Whalen Farm Archaeological Dig sponsored by the Delta Museum and Archives (June-August 1985). The site is located on the East side of the Pt. Roberts peninsula just on the Canadian side of the border. A previous dig (DfRs3) was carried out on the same midden on the US side of the border in 1947-8.
A copy of the dig report is kept in Curatorial with the catalogue and inventory binders. The original records for the dig are in the Delta Archives MSS 1993-025 / 12-B-1 & 12-B-2. There are also photographs from the dig in the Archives Photo Storage. Though there are photos of the artifacts, the DgRs # is not given in the photo. Also, not all artifacts were labelled which has resulted in some confusion over which Artifact Recording Sheet goes with which object. In addition, it appears some items from the dig have been assigned DMA numbers (DE1987.70) while the majority retain their Borden number . DE1987.70 is also marked TO7 which indicates there may be a connection between the archaeological material beginning "TO" and the Whalen Farm material.
Correspondence in the files in the Archives indicate that archaeological material from the dig would be held by the BC Provincial Museum (now the Royal BC Museum) but that a year by year renewable loan could be arranged. A note in the accession register indicates that items from the Whalen Dig are on loan indefinitely from the BCPM. No loan agreements or other paperwork has been located.
From dig report, “The artifact count from the site was quite low with 121 artifacts recovered. In order to avoid confusion with possible artifacts at the BCPM from this site which are not from this excavation, artifact numbering was begun at #100. 104 of the artifacts have provenience, with the remaining 17 found either on the site, in the screen or in the faunal collection.” The record sheets for the faunal finds are in the dig files in the Delta Archives, but were not assigned numbers. The faunal remains themselves are not at the DMA and are assumed to be at the Royal BC Museum. DgRs objects not on the DMA database are ones that turned out not to be artifacts, were stolen from the site, have numbering issues to be sorted out, etc. See Inventory list (with other inventory lists on computer) or Artifact Recording Sheets in Archives for full list of objects.
- Update 5/2008: The RBCM does not have a record of the faunal remains being at their location.
- Loan of DgRs14 artifacts from RBCM never formalized. Correspondence underway 11/2007 to make loan official. Contact is Shelley Reid (250-387-2448)..
- The loan of DgRs14 artifacts and associated material (archival) was formalized in May 2008 and extends from June 1, 2008-June 1, 2010 at which time it will need to be renewed. The original of the loan form is in the "Loans In" binder and there is a
- DgRs14 file in the Loans section in the Admin filing cabinet.
- Contact was made with the Director the Whalen Farm Site dig, Dimity Hammon, in May 2008. Though she was unable to shed much light on the whereabouts of the faunal remains, etc., she may be contacted with questions at 4084 Salt Spring Dr., Ferndale,
- Washington 98248 / 360-738-8136 / firstname.lastname@example.org .