Skip header and navigation
- Accession Number
- Other Names
- Card, Text
- Communication Artifacts
- Documentary Artifact
- Material Type
- "Jesus in Gethsemane"
- Accession Number
- Catalogue Number
- From text for 2009 anniversary exhibit, "40 Artifacts for 40 Years:"
The colourful lithographic illustrations and the collectible aspect of these Sunday school lesson cards served as incentives to help children learn their bible stories. First published in the 1870s, bible cards were widely distributed. Regardless of the publisher, cards were laid out in a similar format. On one side was an illustration, scriptural quote, and “Golden Text” for the child to memorize. On the reverse was an explanation of the scripture and a series of related questions.
Typically, cards were published quarterly in packages of thirteen and handed out to the children weekly at Sunday school. The last card in each set was a review card and often had a place for the teacher to check off completed lessons. Bible Cards were circulated amongst many Protestant denominations. The Catholic Church distributed Holy Cards which also featured religious images, but were more elaborately embellished and served a different purpose, either to commemorate a funeral or as a reward for a child’s accomplishment. Publication of both types of cards continues today.
The cards on display date to 1900 and likely belonged to the donor’s father, Robert, born in 1891, or to his aunt, Nancy, born in 1887. Alternatively, the cards may have been passed down from his mother, Vera, née Gillanders, born in 1892, whose family was active in the Methodist church.
The Morleys were early settlers in Delta. Robert and Nancy’s father, Samuel, purchased farmland in 1901 on 28th St. and then acquired additional acreage in 1908 on Goudy Rd. These farms remained in the family and were worked by Robert and his sons until the government expropriated the land in 1968 in preparation for the superport.
There are more Morley bible cards. See DE1987.1.73a-k